1:17 PM

Changing Careers During A Recession

I was sitting and thinking about the whole Al Franken ordeal. You know… the comedian who’s made several appearances on Saturday Night Live who's been givin the great privilege of representing the people of Minnesota in the U.S. Senate. I’ve come to the conclusion that our nation is turning away from it’s preconceived notion of what a politician or elected official is or should be. We are moving away from the traditional politician in a sense, and it didn’t just happen overnight. The day still hasn’t come that your average citizen off the street is a respectable enough individual to be elected to make policy, but we are nearing that age. Entertainers are beginning to appeal to the people more than the clean-cut military/college graduate standard. A few of the high-profile entertainers who’ve been elected to office (Ronald Reagan, Jesse Ventura, and Arnold Schwarzenegger to name a few) are verifiable proof. So who has not really been in the political spotlight who is deserving of my vote? Without a campaign or any real agenda presented thus forth, I feel comfortable saying that I would vote for a comedian if awarded the chance. And, that would be the one and only… Chris Rock.


This may seem odd to a lot of people, but, before you began to knock it, you should align your thoughts with mine through my personal analysis of this extraordinary thinker. Most may think of Rock as just an outrageously funny character. But, he is far more than that. I’ve been a Chris Rock fan for most of my life, well at least half. All of his work, from the gut-busting Neva Scared to the dumbest movie I've ever seen, Pootie Tang, has tackled serious issues plaguing our nation. And the campaign he orchestrated in the movie Head of State would be the perfect outline for succeeding to gain any seat desired. I can just hear everyone screaming, “It Ain’t Right! It Ain‘t Right!” Some major standout quotes still resonate in my memory bank even though I haven‘t seen the movie in many years. In one of Rock’s character’s speeches, he lists some of his qualifications by indirectly questioning his opponent’s in a humorous yet declaring affirmation. He astounds listeners with, “…How you gon’ fight crime if you don’t know any criminals? How you gon’ help the poor if you never been poor?” It was then, when Chris Rock won this young teen’s (at the time) vote. Who else besides the common man with common man problems has the knowledge required to know the true troubles of the common man? Who else understands the psyche of the common citizen? That is why we have been turning towards entertainers in overwhelming numbers in recent times.


The entertainer, though, still has an edge on the common man now, because, entertainers already have the name recognition. But, we still see them as more human than the politician whose life has been mapped out since his late teens, if not since conception.
Even a movie as ridiculous as Pootie Tang has helped me to become enthused to propel Rock into a high political seat. Comedy was used only as a tool (along the lines of parody) to exploit the realization of big corporations' absurd desire to articulately manipulate entertainers' influential power for self-righteous means, by way of appealing to, and thus controlling, the masses with even children, of course, not immune to their maniacal ways. And, all you have to do is watch and/or listen to Chris Rock’s many standup specials to witness his wittiness approach to address and tackle race issues. I could go on forever, but for the sake of your time and mine, I’ll leave you with those few examples. Now, I suggest you go back and look at Rock’s work, but this time, from a different angle. You will be able to see for yourself. 2016 anyone? So, Chris Rock, you’re okay in my book. Turn Your Page…


Oh Yeah... Watch for the new documentary, Good Hair.



~J.R. Junior


J One Royal Fam Says:

Good point man. But just for the sake of argument, Regan sucked, Ventura sucked, and Terminator: Rise and fall of California, SUPER SUCKS!!! I have but a small gleam of hope for mister Franken, but I think the powers that be, powered him into his seat, but we'll see.
Alright, now for your real point. I recall telling my mom (an avid Chris Rock hater), that she should watch all of his stuff and look at it from a different point of view. Forget the swearing, forget the sexual innuendos, forget the stuff that he has to do to please the "audience" and look at the movie. Head of state, Pootie Tang, even that last stand up he did are valid reasons why some comedians especially Chris Rock should be in politics and have my vote every single time, no matter party affiliation, (That's a jump for me because I hate "partytics"). Then on top of it all, he's black.

I'm in no means racist or bias to my race, (I think Obama has got some work to do). But it's just like J.R. mentioned: "How you gonna fight crime if you don't know any criminals?" I'm not saying that you have to be black to know criminals but....I digress...I will end up going on for days. I hope you get my point. If not leave a comment..I will be answered!

I concluded by saying this: No matter if your a singer, politician, Marine, comedian, or work at McDonald's, we are Americans. So next time you go to the voting booth, don't look at someones skin, or look at their, probably handed to them by their rich daddy, Yale and Harvard degrees, look at how much an American they are, and if there not going to help you....but help US!! Chris Rock 2016!!! J One Royal Fam 2024!!!!

Comments (2)

I would like the agree with you guys here because the common man is what this country was built on, to some degree anyway. However, I think that electing people just because they have good ideas that represent the common man is not a good choice several reasons.

The first reason why it is not a good idea is because a non-politician would not be able to get anything done in a system where everyone but a few are sleazy politicians. The only way to get something done is to play the game in which he is vastly unprepared for and has no chance of winning. This game not only have people that studied the art, but they have been in the game for decades and only get better as they age. Just like, "How are you gonna fight crime if you don't know any criminals?" The same can be said, "How are you going to be a politician if you don't know politics?" While this is bleak view of our government, it is also a realistic observation.

The second reason why I don't think it is a good idea is because the government is so federalized that the founding fathers are doing cartwheels in their grave. State and local governments have little say in the big things that matters to people. If state and local government were more powerful, then the "common man" problems would be much easier to deal. The reason being that it is much easier to hold local and state representative accountable for their actions and not some crook in Washington.

The only way I can see a change in the American political system is limiting senator and congressman terms just like the president. This would allow for new blood more often and it makes them work harder to get there ideas in action because they have much less time to play around.

You make a good point on top over our good points...but I say this to you in you last point. The federal government having as much power as it does is unconstitutional. So, not having someone in politics not knowing politics, is more beneficial that having someone who knows politics corrupt the system. We end up being no better that Honduras, or our (in the textbook) enemy Cuba. Open your eyes that's what their used for!